Germany – Duisburg, 2-5 October 2008
The 7. International Discus Championship, today the largest event of its kind in the world, which is a bi-annual event, took place again in Duisburg, Germany and was organized by Nobert Zajac, in conjunction with his 11. Zierfische & Aquarium. Heiko Bleher, who suggested this unique event to Norbert Zajac in 1995 and helped extensively for the first international championships in 1996 to get off the ground by travelling around the world for one year-long of preparations, was helping again, in form of four lectures this time.
The 7. International Discus Championship ended Sunday the 5th of October 2008 and recorded over 32000 visitors. The Asian discus breeders and dealer took most of the prizes, those placed in the 12 categories can be seen at www.discusnews.com/duisburg08 or www.mondodiscus.com and also soon on this website.
Today You will see some pictures below and also some beautiful discus which were entered from several countries and received unfortunately no place under the first 3, but are excellent fishes which should have been prized… Make Your own judgement and compare.
BEST BREEDED FORM,
MOST SUPERIOR DISCUS CHOOSEN BY PUBLIC (RED),
and INTERNET PEOPLE’S CHOISE
Some excellent discus at the 7. International Discus Championship in Germany
15. place – Henrik Hylleberg, Denmark
Note by Heiko Bleher: maybe the best WILD in Duisburg 2008
15. place – Giuseppe Padino, Italy (left)
Note by Heiko Bleher: almost perfect Wild Brown
23. place – Nidal Rezeq, Greece (right)
Note by Heiko Bleher: almost certanly the best BROWN
15. place – Juan Carlos Pascua, Spain (left)
Note by Heiko Bleher: This one was much better than the 2. prized
2. place – Ralf Battenberg, Germany (right)
22. place – Minoru Suhara, Japan
Note by Heiko Bleher:
This is Red Turquoise which had more red than the 1. and 2. placed!
4. place – Tony Tan & and Best Light, Malaysia/Germany (left)
20. place – Leo Lanssens, Belgium (right)
11. place – Cindy Tan, Malaysia
Note by Heiko Bleher: Maybe the most natural and perfect
But also: none of the Red classified were actually Red like the upper two should have been placed in the class Full Color or better Open!
1. place – Andrea Sassi and Antonio Greco, Soc. Agricola S.G. Discuscoltura S.r.l., Italy
5. place – Tony Tank & Best Light, Malaysia/Germany (left)
6. place – Tony Tank & Best Light, Malaysia/Germany (right)
18. place – Paul Lucas, England
Note by Heiko Bleher: This beauty of Paul should be placed in the category OPEN,
45. place – André Barat, France
Note by Heiko Bleher: This is a PiGEON and in the wrong category.
7. place – Henrik Hylleberg, Denmark (left)
8. place – Jeffrey Yang, Malaysia (right)
Note by Heiko Bleher: None of these are FULL COLOR discus and the 8th place is the same fishes as placed in the category RED!
Akira Ishinabe from Japan won the price (GRAND CHAMPION) for the best breeded form (left)
Note by Heiko Bleher: while judging dicsus in Japan recently and giving lectures, Akira did all my translations. See http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=246&Itemid=42
And Watanabe-san (right on the right photo) came also. He had invited Heiko.
Here some photos of the discus in the competition made by Andrea Sassi